Saturday, April 11, 2009

Theater's Future

OK, another really great article from Theatre Ideas, discussing the future of theater in that it will become smaller and less consequential. Scott goes on to say, "theatre will rediscover the fact that its lifeblood is not drawn from the mass culture, but from the local culture." I agree with theater realizing its foundation is local, not mass culture, and I think it already does this as it has to respond in some way locally. Local audience attendance demands that.

Scott continues: "[future theater professionals] will have to be taught to see themselves as facilitators, community members". I actually think this is occurring right now. I think that if you ask presenters at this point in time if community outreach is a significant part of their season, there would be a resounding yes. I think it has to and will continue as people seek relevance as opposed to mass media. Twitter

1 comment:

Scott Walters said...

Thanks for the shout out, and I hope you're right. I saw a few glimmers in the latest American Theatre. However, I have suspicions that community outreach is the new diversity -- the thing that theatres do for grant money without really understanding what it means.