Saturday, October 4, 2008

Artistic Funk, pt. 2

I blogged recently about artistic funk. Although I made headway last week, there still have been residual, fleeting feelings like, “this work is relevant, how come no one gets it?”, and “if they don’t get this, they’re certainly not going to get what’s coming down the pike”, which leads to questioning/doubting yourself as an artist. (So painful can’t even put it in the first person :-)). So, I’ve been rolling around in this, thinking, “let time pass”, and well, basically, it wasn’t passing fast enough. But I was talking to a friend today, a dance choreographer, and she was like, “who cares what the critics say, is that going to stop you from creating your next work?”. I just smiled. I’ve known what she said is true all along, but it really helped me to hear this from a fellow artist. So, it was just wonderful to be reinforced by someone who really knows what it’s like, putting yourself out there and (trying to survive) the criticism. Thank you! Twitter

No comments: